By: Kellin Farnes
We’ve all been there when you are shopping on Amazon and you come across a product with little to no information on a product and what it is. Makes you question how legitimate the product is and if you can trust the product of being what it looks like in the photo.
These examples of the Before and After picture of a detail page of a Football Helmet on Amazon show the importance of optimizing the content of your product.
We can analyze these Before and After detail pages for the Football Helmet and notice that the Title is not very descriptive, there are only 2 bullet points before and 5 after, only 1 images before and 6 images and a video of the product after.
Optimizing the content of products is crucial to gaining conversion and increase sales. We optimize products by looking at content (title, bullet points, product description), adding quality photos, A+ content, and keyword research.
We optimize listing with the customer in mind. We strive to include additional images, 5 descriptive bullet points, correct information to not confuse consumers, and keyword loaded titles with information that is easily understood.
A good way to increase your products sales rank and discoverability is through these 5 steps we take on each product we list on Amazon:
1. Product Title: Place your top 5 keywords in the product title. According to the new ranking algorithm, this is no longer necessary. You can now pay more attention to crafting a descriptive, yet readable title.
2. Backend keywords: Add up to 249 bytes of other important keywords in the “search terms” (also known as “generic keywords”.) Caution: Amazon will not index these keywords If you use more than 249 bytes.
3. Bullet Points and Product Description: You can place more keywords here, but only if it doesn’t disrupt the informative clarity of the product texts.
4. Other Keyword Types: Some products allow the definition of additional keyword types, such as Target Audience (e.g., men/women). Amazon filters them in the search, so make sure to add them.
5. More Details: Assign additional product information, such as material type, to your product. Fill in this information as thoroughly as possible because customers can access it via the filter navigation and specific product finders
When to Edit Product
An important way to be successful with selling on Amazon is optimizing your product catalog and the detail page.
There may be different reason in why you may need to edit your products on Amazon.
- When you add more or better product details
- When you need to fix details that were incorrectly entered
- When you need to update details because the product changed
You can add more and better product details to improve your product discoverability. We find trends that customers value in certain products and make sure to include those features in the product details. Example: According to customer reviews, their favorite product feature is the lightweight design. Adding this detail to the product bullet points may drive discoverability and conversion.
If the physical characteristics of your product change (color, weight, accessories, etc.), you need to submit a new product instead of just editing the existing product. When you have a new product, you must create a new product listing to sell on Amazon. We then group the new product in a variation with the older version of the product. This helps the new product become more discoverable with the traffic that has already been done with the old existing product.
About Streiff Marketing
We are a full-service Amazon Marketing Agency specializing in both Amazon Vendor Central (1P) and Amazon Seller Central (3P) services. Our expert team understands the difference between vendor central vs seller central and builds your strategy to optimize your Amazon brand storefront to maximize sales throughout the Amazon Marketplace. Our Account Management service includes everything you need to use Amazon fulfillment to succeed on Vendor Central or Seller Central, including account setup, optimization, reviews, SEO, pricing, advertising and more.